Last night when I got home from yoga, I was just plain ravenous. I needed something to eat stat, and it came down to either calling in a large cheese pizza from the neighborhood pizza place, or throwing together a quick salad with some runny hummus that I had made earlier in the day. When I am my hungriest is usually when I make the worst decisions in regards to food, but last night salad triumphed! This one was so easy. It took like less than 10 minutes to throw together, and was so satisfying and nourishing. The power greens blend I used was a mix of baby kale, spinach, and chard making this salad a nutritional powerhouse. These greens are full of a range of vitamins and minerals plus antioxidants! Throw that in with the good for you fat from the avocado and some plant protein from the beans, almonds and hummus dressing, and you have one amazingly healthy bowl!
To make two big power bowls you will need:
- 3 cups power green blend, (or mix of baby spinach, baby kale, and baby chard)
- 1 cup black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 avocado
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, sliced into half moons
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 handful of sliced almonds
- 4 small tomatoes, sliced (mine were called campari, but you can use cherry tomatoes, just double the amount)
Divide the greens equally between two serving bowls. Divide the remaining ingredients, placing half of each ingredient on the greens. Top with plenty of hummus dressing and a squeeze of lemon.
- One can of chickpeas with liquid
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
BOOM! Hunger officially busted!
Looking for something similar but different? Give these a shot!